Friday 4 October 2013

ENVIRONMENT: Concept


I want to investigate the terms:

'Manufactured landscape/Unnatural landscape/Human landscape'

Basically, the landscape that we as humans have transformed and humanity's impact on the world.

To start of my research, I looked up the terms on the internet. The first thing that came up was a 2006 documentary film about the work of photographer Edward Burtynsky. I recognised the name but wasn't  familiar with the work. So I watched a 30 minute talk that he did on ted.com called 'My wish: Manufactured landscapes and green education'.
Burtynsky's work is about the human race's relationship with our environment. It combines an advanced sense of aesthetics, showing some influence from Romantic painting such as Caspar David Friedrich and Salvator Rosa and Abstract Expressionism, with a powerful vision of our world which draws back the curtain on the hidden impact of our modern way of life.




Casper David Friedrich 'Wanderer above the sea of fog' 1818
Salvator Rosa 'Landscape with Travellers asking the Way' 1641


Edward Burtynsky










No comments:

Post a Comment